Ants are sadly a common occurrence around most homes. If you've never seen ants around your Riverside property, you're likely to encounter them in the future unless you take preventive measures. But luckily, there are practical things you can do to remove common Riverside ants.
In this guide, you'll get effective ant control tips from our Riverside pest control professionals at Compass Pest Management. Keep reading to learn about common ants in the area and how you can seal your property against them.
How To Identify Ants Commonly Found In Riverside
While there are many ants in California, there is only a handful that commonly invades homes and yards. Some are more dangerous or problematic than others, but even the nuisance species can be complicated to remove. Here is what you need to know about each common species:
- Red Imported Fire Ants: This species is somewhat notorious because of their painful stings. They mainly live outdoors and build mounds in the dirt. They are a reddish-orange, and some people are allergic to their venom.
- Carpenter Ants: The carpenter ant is one of the most destructive ants because they tunnel through wooden structures to build nests. They are dark brown to black.
- Odorous House Ants: While this species isn't' dangerous or particularly destructive, they leave behind a smell of rotten coconuts when crushed.
- Pharaoh Ants: These ants are a yellow-tan color. They are unfortunately dangerous as they can transmit illnesses such as salmonella.
Remember that even the more benign ant species can have colonies with hundreds of thousands of ants, so DIY ant control often doesn't remove them.
The Many Problems Ants Can Create In Your Home
As previously mentioned, some ants are dangerous to human health. Ants that sting and inject venom can cause allergic reactions and other side effects, while pharaoh ants transmit pathogens. Even the nuisance ants can contaminate food and make your home feel gross or smelly.
Overall, ants are some of the most invasive species. Their small size makes them difficult to keep out, and their large colonies make them challenging to remove.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of An Ant Infestation In Your Home
If you already have an ant infestation around your home, the simplest way to remove it is to call Riverside pest control services. Our experts at Compass Pest Management can easily eradicate an infestation and keep it from returning. Let us take it from here instead of wasting your precious time on ineffective DIY attempts.
Five Practical Tips To Prevent Future Ant Infestations In Your Home
You can do some things to prevent ants from colonizing and infesting your home and property. Here are five practical tips to follow:
- Install door sweeps and weather stripping.
- Put secure lids on all garbage cans.
- Wipe up food and drink spills right away and clean kitchens regularly.
- Fix broken and torn screens in doors and windows.
- Repair leaky pipes and faucets to reduce humidity around the property.
Finally, let our team at Compass Pest Management assist you with year-round ant prevention. Our home pest control plans include treatments that keep these sneaky and invasive pests out. You can get started by reaching out today. You need to give us a ring to request a quote or book an inspection.